Wednesday, February 24, 2016

You've Been Flashed by Author P.C. Zick


Welcome, and thanks for coming by to Flash us today. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting author P.C. Zick from our upcoming independent releases for the Remingtons Kindle World, created by author Melissa Foster. While you were a “new to me” author, you are a very well established writer with such a diverse background. You’re like a treasure trove of cool facts that I can’t wait to dive into! So let's get started.

Q1:  I love how diverse your writing experience has been – as well as being an editor, too (The Manuscript Doctor). I can appreciate juggling those hats! From news, to fiction, to blogging, to biographies and non-fiction, you seem to write it all. I’m just curious, what has been your favorite to write, and why?

PCZ: Fiction is by far my favorite writing form. I’ve loved writing contemporary romances over the past two years, but am anxious to get back to writing contemporary fiction with environmental themes. One reviewer called it “eco-journalism” in fiction. It takes much longer to write in this genre, and the research is much more extensive. I’m a little weird because I really like doing research, learning new things, and then incorporating it into my writing.

Q2:  I also love your blog and personal manifesto of Living Lightly. It speaks to my soul, as I’m sure it does for other readers. Nature, the environment, and healthful eating seem to weave its way through your writing. Is there anything that sparked these passions to begin with? What drives the desire to pursue these topics in your writing?

PCZ: That’s an excellent question, and I’m not sure where it started. I’m an old hippie raised in the seventies consciousness of Ann Arbor where I lived for several years. It grew into a lifestyle. With my first husband, we actually homesteaded in North Florida on twenty acres. We built a geodesic dome partially powered by solar electricity. During my years in Florida, I reported on the politics in some rural areas and saw how developers were more interested in destroying than creating. Through my fiction, I can present interesting stories (hopefully), while educating folks about the dangers of destroying our environment.

Q3: You have a new book coming out on 3/2 called Love on the Wind. What inspired this story, and what else can we expect from P.C. Zick after this novella – have any other stories in the pipeline?

PCZ: I really love the Remington series and jumped at the chance to write something from that world created by Melissa Foster. At the same time, I was reading Anthony Bourdain’s book and watching his show. I thought it would be fun to create the female version. Also, Rachelle Ayala had written a book in the first Remington World release where the main characters met at Montauk Point. That’s the first place I ever saw the ocean when I was ten years old, so it all fell together. I have two romances I need to write this spring. There’s a women’s novel lurking in my brain and notebooks right now so I hope to get to it soon. And I have a novel I started years ago, set on the Suwannee River, that I want to finish.
We can't wait to see what comes next! Now on to easier questions, and the absolute ridiculousness and fun of This or That. You can only choose one. Go!

  • Leprechauns or fairies? Fairies because they are light - leprechauns scare me a bit (but not as much as clowns scare me).
  • Oxford comma: with or without? I use it. I think it makes it less confusing for the reader, which is always one of my goals.
  • Paper or plastic? Always paper.
  • Day hiking or day at the spa? Day hiking and then a night at the spa.
  • Martinis or margaritas? Can I choose both? Depends on the situation and mood and weather!
  • Old School or New Age? New Age all the way.
  • Quiet bistro or chain restaurant? No chains - always a quiet bistro (or craft brewery).
  • Skiing or snorkling? Snorkling - skiing scares me at this age.
  • Cake or pie? Always fruit pies.
  • The Monkees or monkeys? Howler monkeys - if you’ve never seen one up close, you’re missing quite an experience. The telling of this story would require a margarita.

Thank you for stopping by and keeping us briefed. Readers, you can learn more about PC Zick’s adventures and her writing at:
Twitter | Facebook | Web Site | Blog | Goodreads  

19 comments:

  1. What a great interview. (I was born and raised in Florida, so what a coincidence.) It's been a lot of fun working with both of you on the Kindle World project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it's been a treat to get to know all of you wonderful women. It's a supportive and fun group.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I loved getting to know her better through this interview and poking around on her sites. She has so many interesting environmental stories and experience. Love it! <3 I also love how AHEAD of the curve you were, and how society now seems to be coming full circle. But you can be like, Yeah, been there, done that. ;) So cool.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes I worry we're going backwards! I didn't even mention that I had a home birth with a midwife (before they called them doulas) back in 1982 in Ann Arbor. It was perfect, and now I can sit back and be all cool about it when I hear about the "new" movement toward natural childbirth. Really? That's so '80s!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for having me flash you and your followers today. I had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved getting Flashed by you ;) Flash me anytime!

      Delete
  3. Nice interview. Patricia is a great lady and a great writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! It's a mutual feeling.

      Delete
  4. Love it Pat! You are such a great author!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - Thank you so much! That's high praise coming from you.

      Delete
  5. Great interview--as in--not at all boring. Loved it. Shared it everywhere.
    Jackie Weger
    No Perfect Destiny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, You are wonderful! Thank you - I hate boring.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jackie! She is an amazing author, and was so fun to interview. <3

      Delete
  6. I really got to get out more. I didn't know you were a MS doctor. Have you got vids of the howler monkeys? That would be great to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that editing evolved naturally from my love of words. I wish I had even a photo. They were too high up in the air, but I did see a part of their anatomy. . .Wait, I need a margarita to continue.

      Delete
  7. The things you learn from interviews! Love it. I always wanted to live in a dome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, this was a fun interview to do. Here's what I loved about the dome: they can be heated with a match and cooled with an ice cube. Almost true because air can flow without being trapped.

      Delete
  8. Nothing surprises me about this eclectic, multi-talented author AND editor! Great interview...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks, Sarah! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete