Saturday, May 25, 2013

I loved LOVE LOVE, by Beth Michele

So, if you know me at all, you know I am a sucker for true love! The undying, dramatic, sappy, soul mate, against-all-odds and across-all-time, you-had-me-at-hello kinda love.

So, I was obviously excited when I found out about Beth Michele's new book, aptly titled, Love Love. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and fall deeply into love again through her characters. And, I did just that. 

Let me start by saying that I had an Advance Review Copy, so there could've been a few edits made since my version. All that said, the heart remains the same: the love story that "brews" between Gabby and Brad.

I won't go into the entire plot here, you can read that on Amazon. And I won't recap my entire Goodreads review here either. What I want to convey is the feeling I got while reading this book (other than hot and bothered, because there were some really, really fun scenes!). This book may not be every one's cup of tea. It's a New Adult (NA) aged book. What does that mean? Roughly, it's *mostly* written for readers in their early 20s, who are just starting out, finding themselves, in their "discovering love" age, during their earning-your-life's-stripes period. Let's face it...that's just not where I am in life. I'm 39, I've been married almost 10 years, I had a wonderful corporate career and then shed my golden handcuffs to pursue my dream career (and found it), and I have two amazing rug-rats. So, no. I'm not exactly a "new adult."

BUT, I can still relate to those feelings I had when I was in my 20s. The idea of finding and falling in love with THE ONE. Your first kiss with someone really, really special. Those romantic first dates and sweep-you-off-your-feet gestures. That's what Love Love is about. 

I will warn readers that the book starts off a *little* sad (okay, really, really, sad). BUT, it's like a Band-Aid, once you rip it off, everything gets better. It starts to heal. Gabby, the main character, starts to heal. And in healing, she's able to meet Brad. Who, let's face it, is one in a million (other than my husband, 'cause he's kinda sweet and hot like Brad!). Brad is every girl's dream guy. I'll show you why in a minute. But Michele has an amazing knack for writing in nuggets of life's wisdom about love, relationships, and growth without sounding preachy to this NA audience. And that's a skill. 

The book took a little while to build up while setting the stage for the take off of Gabby and Brad's relationship. But once it did, it soared! Once I got to the part where they go on their first unofficial first date ('cause, you know, they're just "friends"), I could not put the book down. No, really. I was up until 4:30 am reading it. On a "school night." I know stories need to have tension and ups and downs, but really, Michele's strength lies here, in the romance and fluttery-love relationship department. This is where I feel like she truly hit her groove and connected in a BIG way with her audience. Who would NOT fall in love with a man with classic lines like these:
  • "I've been wondering something all night...have you ever been kissed by a superhero before?...because you've never been truly kissed until you've been kissed by a superhero." {Swoon! Adorable alert!}
  • "I've been waiting my whole life for your kiss." {Drops panties...oh, wait.}
  • "My God, you have no idea how much I want to be with you, or how long I've wanted you...But I want all of you. I want your body and your heart, and I won't accept anything less. I want the whole of you, Gabby." {Insert melting heart here.}
And...drum roll, please...my favorite:

"I told you I’d give you space, but I never said I wouldn’t fill your space with flowers."

Sigh. Sigh. Oh, did I mention? Sigh. 

So, if you're looking for a fun, fast, light, seriously cute and romantic, easy-to-read, summertime romp - with plenty of steamy scenes - you'll fall in love with Love Love, too.

You can find out more about Beth Michele and connect with her at:

Amazon | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Happy reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment