Saturday, April 13, 2013

How BRAVE are you? (Part 3)

Now that you've had a little dose of inspiration (in blog post part 1), and you've seen my fun Facebook page, Brave Girl's Kick Ass (in blog post part 2), we can move onto part three: the challenge

Are you BRAVE enough?!

While I was researching other inspirational groups that support women, girls, and their fierceness, I came across this amazing picture on Girls on the Run International's facebook page (GOTR). It was posted by their St. Louis Chapter. 

Look at how beautiful this girl is, and what an amazing sense of self she has! That's what GOTR does for girls.
For those of you who've never heard of GOTR, it's a non-profit organization {the brain-child of Molly Barker} that's dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. GOTR does this through a coach-based running program that combines running, self-confidence, and inspiration.


Genius! As one participant of GOTR said {of her GOTR experience}, "I learned that I am the boss of my brain." If only all of us could realize this at such a young age! 
 
So, it got me thinking. I know grown women who are not even able to do what this young girl has done: ACKNOWLEDGE their strengths, abilities, and things that make them special. It is excruciatingly difficult for some women to brag on themselves and come up with even ONE positive trait, let alone an entire body's worth! But we're ALL filled with things that make us special, unique, and beautiful. You have to DIG DEEP, not worry about what others will think, and STOP the negative inner self-chatter that says, "There's nothing you're good at; you're not beautiful; you're not good enough."

Because, YOU ARE. This is a lesson in finding your voice and owning your worth! So kick that negative self-chatter's ass to the curb. When it starts popping up, say, "No, thanks. I don't need you any more. I know my worth. Adios!" Then, immediately repeat one positive thing about yourself. Even if it's as simple as, "I have beautiful toes."  

So, here's your mission, should you choose to accept it!

The "Positive Things About Me" BGKA Contest

1) Draw an outline of a body, like in the little girl's picture above. It doesn't have to be exactly like this, but it needs to be on a big piece of paper, like hers. Use an 8x10 (ish) standard piece of writing or construction paper.

2) Decorate it inside with AT LEAST 10 positive things that make you the special, unique, beautiful YOU that you are!

3) Take a picture of it and email it to me at thegrammarbabe (@) yahoo (dot) com by no later than midnight (EST) on Sunday, April 28, 2013 (New Date!). Or, you can share it on the Brave Girls Kick Ass Facebook page. However, you need to supply your full name, email address, and physical street address, so if you post on Facebook, please supply only your name + write "official submission" in the comments section; then privately message me your personal information so it's not displayed publicly. {Please note: this information is ONLY for use with this ONE contest. I will NOT retain your information, send any e-mails, or give away or sell your e-mail address. Pinky promise!} 

4) Pat yourself on the back for being BRAVE, and consider taping your creation to your bathroom mirror where you'll see it every day.

And you could even win a prize!

The biggest prize of all, of course, is the self-confidence and pride you'll feel after finishing. But, because I want to REALLY celebrate your BRAVERY and the launch of BGKA, I'm also giving out prizes! Woot-woot!

IF I have AT LEAST 25 women/girls who participate in this contest, I will review all of the entries and select three "winners" who really go above and beyond and stretch themselves deeply. {Note: this will not be based on artistic ability, but rather the effort, love, and reflection placed into the assignment.}  

The winning three entries will be posted publicly and recognized as winners on the BGKA Facebook page, this website blog, and via Twitter on Monday, April 29, 2013. Any submission means you consent to these terms and conditions. And, now, onto the awesome prizes...

1st Place ~ the BIG, BAD, BRAVEST award
ONE first place winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to the Brave Girl's Club online shoppe. {Note: I am not affiliated with the Brave Girls Club, I just think they are really cool, and I love their fun BRAVE GIRL items in their online shoppe, and think you will too!}


 2nd Place ~ the KICK ASS award
ONE second place winner will receive a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com
to use on whatever your BRAVE heart desires!


 
3rd Place ~ the Taste of Courage award
ONE third place winner will receive the ebook version of Melissa Foster's new book Have No Shame {which is being published in May, but I just heard from a BRAVE, little birdie that the ebook version just *might* be available online now!} If you do not have an ereader, you can choose the paperback version as your prize and I can pre-order it for you, for the May release.  


As an added bonus, I'll also create a positive body drawing and post it here and on my Facebook page, to show you that it doesn't need to be fancy or pretty or artistically created...it just needs to be done with love! So, I'll be BRAVE first and open myself up for the world to see, so that it opens the door for you to as well. And we'll be BRAVE together, my kick ass sisters!

So grab those pens, markers, paints, pencils, or crayons, a piece of paper, and tap into your truest, most authentic self. Then, be BRAVE and share what's positive about YOU! You can do it, and I can't wait to see what y'all come up with.

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"
Dr. Suess


~Be Brave. Kick Ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment