Friday, February 15, 2013

Love Is In The Air

In honor of Valentine's Day and the fact that I hit 1,000 followers on Twitter this week, I've decided to release a peek at some of my work as a small thank you to those of you who believe in me and my writing. I am forever humbled and my heart is full of gratitude, truly.

The following scene is from chapter twenty-five and is written from Isabella's perspective. I can't give away all of what came before, but let's just say that her and her friends are in a *little bit* of trouble and things keep escalating. Just a few hours before this scene, Isa's boyfriend Ben quietly admits that he's in love with her. She didn't have even a minute to let her heart flutter or absorb the news. 

Fast forward to them sitting in Ben's truck while Grey waits in the car behind them. They're having one last quiet moment together before she and her best friends seclude themselves and start looking for the answers to some pretty serious questions.

*****

Ben turned to face me. "Are you going to be okay, Isa? I'm worried about you. You and your friends have been through so much these last few days." He gently brushed his fingers along the line of my face, concern clouding his eyes. "I meant what I said back there, Isa. I'm in love with you. And I'm afraid for you. Too much trouble has been following you lately." His eyes went to the rear view mirror, glancing in Grey's direction.
I jumped to her defense. "It's not Grey's fault, Ben! Promise me you won't blame Grey for any of this. She's still in shock from everything. I need to be here for her and help her work through this over the next few days, okay?"

I could see the tension that set in Ben's jaw. Clearly, he was not okay. He blew out a lung-full of air, causing his bangs to lift. I couldn't help but giggle. I leaned in toward him and cupped his face.
"Benjamin Charles Harper," I said as I stared directly into his eyes.
"Isabella Victoria Adams," Ben replied, his smile disarming. Something stirred deep inside, tugging in hidden places. "We've established our names. Now what?" he whispered.
I pulled him toward me. The fear, tension, anger, and confusion that had been churning inside of me for the past two days melted away when my lips met his. Our kiss was long and slow. Both demanding more, both making promises for later. I went deeper still, trying to communicate how much I loved him in return and how much I would need from him as we trudged through this awful mess. My hands went to his hair and grabbed on for dear life. I began to sob, breaking the kiss short. 
My voice, husky from the thick emotions swirling around in my heart, came out in a whisper. There was a first for everything. 
"I love you too, Ben." 
*****

I can't wait to share more with you in the future and I'm dying to hear what you think of this short, but hopefully sweet, scene. It's the first time I've shared any of my work with readers outside of my crit group. So be gentle!

Hugs, happiness, and everlasting love to you all.

7 comments:

  1. Love it!! Already liking Ben's protectiveness but Isa's loyalty to her friend. Great scene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks so much for reading & for the share =) It's so hard putting this stuff out there. Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely written scene, Colleen. Loaded with feeling and emotion, and delivered very well on the "page", too. You have a serious talent for the written word.

    He blew out a lung-full of air, causing his bangs to lift.

    Okay, I gotta ask, but what the hell are 'bangs'? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dylan, That's high praise coming from you -- thank you! =) Are bangs an American term? It's hair that falls down on your forehead, popular with the surfer look. Like this dude: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/luislouro/luislouro1101/luislouro110100182/8655057-handsome-surfer-posing-in-the-beach.jpg

    What do y'all call them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, "bangs" is definitely an American term. Over here (i.e. British English) we call it a fringe. I'll be honest: I'm 43, and I'd never known a fringe was called bangs until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prolific
    Intriguing
    Thought provoking
    Full of raw emotion

    This is a short post but I'm already emotionally invested.

    Your use of verbiage depicts the sad but sweet turn of events between Isabella and Ben. Somehow I find there is sadness in being torn between her loyalty for her friends and wanting to be with him.

    And this paragraph gave me the impression that Isabella was uncertain that she could return to him. This, to me, would have been a goodbye kiss. (This is me with 'been there and done that' in mind.)

    'Our kiss was long and slow. Both demanding more, both making promises for later. I went deeper still, trying to communicate how much I loved him in return and how much I would need from him as we trudged through this awful mess. My hands went to his hair and grabbed on for dear life. I began to sob, breaking the kiss short.'

    Beautifully written.

    This isn't even the whole book and I'm already happy to recommend to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! I so need to have you write the blurb for my jacket cover. Your reviews of my writing make me just about want to tear up! =) That's a good thing! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and comment on my posts. It means the world to me. And it means even more to know you "get" these two and the tension at play. I cannot wait to share more. I hope I can *twist* your arm when the time comes to be either a critique partner or a beta reader? =) REAL cookies may be involved! Haha! {hugs & gratitude}

    ReplyDelete