Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Every good writer has a soundtrack, right?

Every writer has to start somewhere, and my "public" journey with my novel writing starts here. It's officially been announced, so I have to buckle down, commit to a publication date, and get my manuscript finished. I hope you'll join me on my journey and check back from time to time to see what I'm up to! 

Last night I went on a writing bender of sorts. Anyone who's a creative type understands this manic sort of obsession when you just can't shut out the ideas. When you literally feel as if the ideas are eating their way out from the inside of your brain. (Sorry for the visual. It will stick with you.) When you just wish the kids could put themselves to bed and you could shut out all the cat noise, the interrupting husband, and just the general life-full-of-technology-chatter. Despite an important Presidential debate on TV that I felt as if I "should" be watching, I couldn't stop writing instead. No regrets. 

Have you ever had one of those moments when you get a glimpse of divine intervention? When energy just syncs up the way it was meant to? That's what happened to me last night. I was in the middle of an important scene where my three young protagonists are trying to get out of a sticky situation. It's a pivotal scene where the reader gets a first glimpse that Grey, the focus of book one, may not be a "normal" teenage girl. I needed song lyrics to exactly shape the tone of this scene and a dialogue back and forth between the three girls. 

That's when I stumbled upon Ani DiFranco and her hauntingly depressing, but divinely soul-stirring, song that she recorded live in 2002. It's aptly titled, Grey. Of course, being a good and honest cookie, I still need to secure her permission to use her lyrics in my novel. But they are so captivating, and it was as if the song was written for my Grey. After all, every good writer (with the hopes of landing a movie deal) has a good soundtrack in their heads, right? 

I'm curious to know, what music inspires you to be more creative? Do you write while listening to music, or is it too distracting? How does it shape your artistry? Drop me a line with your all time favorite writing song! 

No comments:

Post a Comment